Sunday, April 3, 2011

Okay okay I know...

what's the latest news... where to start.

December 15th- fell down the stairs at home

January 20th- fell down Alex and Shanti's stairs on our last night visiting them

10 days later... I fell again this time I tripped over an animal while dealing with one of our goats

Ugh. Does that say it all? No well okay here we go.
This pregnancy has been amazing up until my 33rd week I didn't really feel pregnant, just tired. However, pre-term labor started (could've had something to do with the falls I had taken!) and I was put on bed rest.My first day on bed rest John came inside and said "I think the dogs got to Adam (a goat), he's just laying in the middle of the yard" I got out of bed to check, and John told me to just forget he said anything... um YEAH RIGHT! So I went out to check on our 6 month old buck only to discover that Adam was dead. With no stand out injuries the conclusion was the Hank had chased Adam until he had a heart attack which is pretty easy for purebred goats, they are very susceptible to stress, and Hank had some of Adams hair is his teeth. John buried Adam out in our arena.
Six days later I tried to get John's attention but saw him crouched down in one of the horse stalls, so I opened the door in or bedroom to yell out to him and instead he yelled to me... "I need help Bruno got kicked". Dread filled me and a I rushed outside John met me on the deck cradling my limp puppy in his arms. I knew instantly it was good. Sobs filled my throat, and tears started streaming down my face. I asked for a towel and wrapped my little guy up and carried him inside to my bathroom. William followed me, stood next to me trying to comfort me while gently petting Bruno. He didn't know it yet but Bruno had already passed before I even made it inside. All I could think to do was try to resuscitate him, as I was steadily rubbing his chest with one hand I cleared his nose with the other preparing to do mouth to puppy nose. Before I could Bruno started breathing again and he suddenly had a pulse. I was amazed and insisted on rushing him to the Vet ER. We called ahead so they'd be ready for us. By the time we arrived Bruno had started bleeding from his right ear, and they rushed him into the back critical care area. I wanted to speak with the vet about chances of recovery before I started charging his care on our credit card. The prognosis wasn't good. He had received a direct kick from one of the horses to his brain. A fluke accident, and now my pup (if he made it through) would be a vegetable. I made the choice to have him euthanized because what kind of life would he be leading as a vegetable. This puppy that just an hour before was running around happily playing didn't need to live any other way. So John, William and I (Luca was with my parents) gathered around Bruno and showed him much he was loved by us and in our hearts until long after his stopped beating. The vet was so kind and gave me an imprint of his paw and provided us with a cardboard coffin to take him home in. On our way home we picked up Luca, and went forward with a burial for Bruno in our front yard.
None of that was expected and just made the contractions worse. I was supposed to be on bed rest and stress free. But the stress didn't end there...

The German Shorthair Pointer rescue finally had an opening for Hank and arranged for us to drop him off a week after Bruno's death. I swear he knew he was about to head out so he got his licks in before he left by going after our other purebred registered Nigerian Dwarf Goat DeeDee. He bit her on her right hind leg. The next morning we loaded up and drove to drop off Hank, he scratched William across his cheek ...argh what next?! Two days later John reported that DeeDee's leg was slightly swollen, but he didn't think it was anything to worry about. Turns out it was. The next day John told me DeeDee couldn't use the leg at all. He brought her inside and I examined her, a diagnosis was made and John had his mission for the day. Well one of many actually...poor guy. WinCo, Church, Tractor Supply, and then home to prepare for Luca's 2nd birthday party (more about that later), then he had to bring in DeeDee so I could treat her for tetanus, and administer her first dose of Penicillin. Tetanus had already set in so she was quite stiff and unable to walk. As it was raining DeeDee became a house goat for a few days until she could at least walk around again. But now she's running around like a champ! Phew!

Now on to Luca's second birthday. We had a small party here at our house that John and Brent set up for AND prepared the yummy turkey with bacon croissant-whiches. Fortunately they took care of almost everything so I was still off my feet. They are one in a million or rather two in a million. I had planned on baking a cake myself for Luca's big day but I was having contractions and didn't get started in time... so enter my parents. They shot over to Costco and picked up a birthday cake with BALLOONS!!! Luca is a HUGE fan of balloons. Believe me you cannot take this child anywhere near a balloon without him screeching BALLOON!!!!!!!!! I'll post photos when I get a chance.


After the party... Back to bed rest until the 23rd...

While on bed rest I watched as the pounds packed on. So far I've gained 40lbs this pregnancy, and I'm so disappointed in myself. Had I not gotten injured I could've continued working with my trainer and I'm convinced I would've maintained my athletic appearance. I am beyond frustrated. And now not only has maintaining a slim physique alluded me but now stage two of labor has as well. ACK!

1 comment: