Sunday, January 11, 2009

Handy Man..

So after our generous Christmas gift from David and Kathleen we decided it was time to finally replace the toilet in our master bathroom. The one we've been making due with has caused me to call John more than 3 times last month alone while he's been at work, not too mention waking him up in the middle of the night because I flushed and instead of going down... up came the water. Ugh... Onward to Lowes we went and picked out our new throne, and it is a beauty let me tell you. Oh I know you're probably reading this going ...eww..Shawnra come on I don't want to hear about your toilet woes. But hey how else can I brag about what a hero my hubby is without listing some recent accomplishments. So there we are in Lowes, and WOW! There are alot of toilets to choose from....sheesh. So we settled for a respectably priced Jacuzzi brand toilet. This thing is AWESOME!! It could be that I'm just amazed by it efficient flushing power, but I really do LOVE our new toilet. And it is earth friendly which I know our last one was not...I'm looking forward to lower water bills...hey every little bit counts!



Up next on the home repair front was our kitchen sink. Finally fed up with having to wait 10 minutes or more for the sink to drain before I could use it again, I begged John to call a plumber. After all by his own admission he could fix it himself but would probably mess up. Which was why we were in the mess we were in to begin with....the previous owners decided to do the plumbing themselves and didn't angle the pipes properly for drainage...so the water just sat in the pipes until they rusted through (which was discovered when John tried to snake the drain only to find the snake had gone through the outside of the pipe...duct tape to the rescue). After calling around and getting a few estimates ranging from $475 ::cough:: to $175, I decided to make a call myself. "Daddy?" So I relayed the problem to my dad and he replied "It's not brain surgery, I can do it" YEAH!!! So my dad stopped by Saturday evening and took a look...prescribed the proper materials for John to retrieve from Lowes, and promised to return Sunday to re-plumb under our kitchen sink. So while William and I were napping John and my dad set to work on tackling our kitchen drainage issues. Thank goodness my dad had the foresight to bring along a snake to check for clogs. Here we thought it was just the angle of the pipes but there was more to it than that. We had a monster clog. But let me remind you we've had issues with the kitchen sink since the day we moved in (as well as the toilets, faucets, lights, outlets...and much more that is just slipping my mind at the moment) So after working vigorously for 2 and half hours the job was done, and I now have a sink that literally works better than I've seen any sink work. I kid you not! It is a thing of beauty. Gotta love the handy men in my life.
The new plumbing
Swirling vortex of water
Our pretty new drains














And last but not least...look familiar Alex?


John put it up in our dining area to put little knick knacks on... I think it adds a bit of a rustic feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment